Each of the children in my observation come from a different region, in and out of the U.S. The most noticeable case of this is in Billy, who came from Texas. Everything he says has a bit of a drawl to it, which Ms. J is working to correct. More than the drawl, though, is the use of slang. Billy doesn't know much slang, and knows even less slang that isn't used in Texas. For example, when Ms. J told him that he was going to "eat her dust" in a game they were playing, he just looked at her as if she were crazy! It is interesting to note that though Billy is not an ELL, his ability to grasp slang is similar to that of someone learning English as a second language. Slang is not intuitive, though it does mark changes in the language, as well as including and excluding people from cliques that develop their own slang. Though it is often considered a negative thing, especially in the classroom, I love watching the development of and reaction to slang (and learning the history of it - I was recently blindsided by an old term for Brazil nuts that is no longer socially acceptable!).
Technology is a wonderful thing, though digital technology is a slippery slope. I know from several studies I've come across that television in large amounts, especially passive programming, is not very beneficial to the student - he or she must be actively engaged in some way to garner benefits. Interactive computer programming, on the other hand, is a great tool because the student is working with the program and it is a great way to introduce a standard technology in a fun way to students - as long as nothing goes wrong. We were trying to set Jack up with a computer game that tested his phonemes (he seems to have some trouble hearing the difference, say, between long and short /a/); it would give me a chance to observe the technology and Ms. G to write her notes! Alas, the sound was somehow corrupted on the disk, and we had to go to plan B. My conclusion for technology is that it is great when it works, but it is not terribly reliable yet; it is still changing so often that it is hard to learn how to work it and troubleshoot it well before another model comes out. Personally, I like methods like that of eating pudding through a straw to strengthen the back of one's mouth for articulation purposes - a simple technology, but technology all the same!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can see the correlation between the student from Texas with a “drawl” to his speech and from Chapter 9 in Second Language Learners. With the teacher making her joke to Billy, it is interesting to have read about his expression and how he had to think through it. There is the idea of the whole language diversity, but I also see there is room for the development of language identity that Billy must work on. This also is incorporated into chapter 10 dealing with there always being conflicts, but nothing anyone can’t work through. I also see in my own practicum that the students are from varied backgrounds and that one student who is from Australia accents his vowels. There is another student who is half Korean and he speaks in a high pitched tone of voice, very precise, but clear to understand.
ReplyDeleteI also see the technology used in my practicum setting, which is very interesting at times. I have seen the students use it for putting their own films together, while at the same time I have seen the teacher try and present a film to the class via internet, and be unsuccessful. It was a small amount of time wasted, so there are plusses and minuses to the equation. I agree that students must be hands on to learn things the teacher wants, but we must be aware of faults that can happen. When do you think that wiki should be introduced to students? In high school, or at an earlier/later age? What is your opinion on web-designed applications for students?
I think that technology in the classroom is good, but used wisely.
ReplyDeleteMy friend has net books that the students use to work on power points in class at East Highschool.
I think that the issues for technology in the classrooms is partially due to funds. My friend at East - wrote and applied for a grant for her English department for the students to have net books to work on.